Next up on Moontrug’s Wednesday Q&As is MG author, Tatum Flynn, whose debut, THE D’EVIL DIARIES, is out tomorrow! We’ve got a bio and book blurb at the end of the post but right now we’re skipping straight to ogres…
1. You wake up to find a massive ogre in your bedroom. If you had to choose one MG character to fight him off who would you choose and why?
Hagrid. He’s one of my absolute favourite characters, and although he’s big enough to fight off an ogre, knowing Hagrid he’d probably befriend it and we’d all end up playing cards in the Three Broomsticks over a pint of butterbeer which would be infinitely preferable to ogre brains everywhere.
2. Having defeated the ogre, you find that your car doesn’t start. Bummer. Would you rather ride a dragon or a unicorn to work? Why?
DRAGONSSSSSS. Dragons are always the answer. Plus all your colleagues and your boss would be so terrified of you they wouldn’t dare ask you to do any work when you got there.
3. After arriving at work late, your boss asks you what your most embarrassing childhood memory was. You have to tell him.
This is why I don’t like bosses. Okay, here we go: my first childhood crush was Bill Sykes. WHAT was Tiny Me thinking?? I blame Oliver Reed.
4. You’re pretty fed up now so when a time machine appears offering to take you to any historical event, you agree. Where do you go and why?
Soooo many places and times I’d like to go to, but as someone with a Latin degree I’d probably plump for Roman times. If I went around 15AD I could both meet Ovid, one of my favourite writers, and a certain Jesus chap whom I’m quite curious about.
5. There is light at the end of the tunnel. As a Fearless Fifteener, your debut is out this year. Tell us about your book in 15 words or less.
Carnivorous carousel horses! Death-trap-riddled libraries! Pouty Lucifer! God in his pyjamas! Demon sloths! Tiny ninjas!
THE D’EVIL DIARIES
Twelve-year-old Jinx is hopeless at being evil. Which is a bit of a problem when you’re Lucifer’s youngest son. But when Jinx runs away from Pandemonium, the walled city he’s lived in all his life, he bumps into dead girl Tommy – who’s been sent to Hell for accidentally feeding her nasty uncle to a circus lion – and unearths a conspiracy that could up-end the entire underworld.
Cue shenanigans involving carnivorous carousel horses, death-trap-riddled libraries and hungry quicksand. Now the fate of the realm rests in the hands of its most unlikely demon and a girl who shouldn’t be in Hell at all…
Tatum Flynn lives by the sea in England with a cat called Friday and too many hats. She has a soft spot for the word ‘ramshackle’, and a vagabond past which involves piloting lifeboats in Venezuela, playing poker in Las Vegas, shooting rapids in the Grand Canyon and almost falling out of a plane over Scotland. Her debut, THE D’EVIL DIARIES, will be out from Orchard/Hachette on the 2nd April 2015, with a sequel, Hell’s Belles, to follow January 2016. Find her on Tumblr (sometimes) and Twitter (far too often).